Sunday, February 24, 2013

Orthodox vs Abstract Animation

I can remember watching animations when I was a kid. During this time, I knew animations as cartoons. It wasn't until I got older that I actually understood and appreciated the amount of work involved in creating an animated character. Looking back, a few of my favorite  animated cartoon shows were Hey Arnold and Ren and Stimpy. It's funny to watch a cartoon like Ren and Stimpy these days; since i'm older, I pick up on the adult humor and overall trippyness of the cartoon.

When I was a kid, I liked orthodox animations with a storyline to follow. Nowadays, I prefer to watch far more abstract animations. Studying film as an art, I can appreciate the inner meanings of abstract animation work.  Stan Brakhage - Black Ice

Whether or not Stan Brakhage had a conceptual idea before creating this film or not, one thing is definitely for sure: the final product clearly resembles black ice, and surely gives an ice cold feeling when watching.

Alas, it is so true, that somebody who doesn't appreciate film art, nor understands how to contextualize such film work, will merely regard Black Ice as trash and having no meaning. This, I believe, is the beauty behind abstract animating and film making.

You see, only those with an open artistic eye, can read, comprehend, and interpret films like these.

Yayyy!! We're Special!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment